It’s the tenth day of 12 Days of Christmas and I’m here to share another favorite cookie recipe. In our house around Christmas, sugar cookies are a staple and decorating them are a must. We used to get pre-cut sugar cookies when we were younger, and my brother and I would decorate them with an absurd amount of sugar, but in the last couple years, I’ve taken it upon myself to make them from scratch with the help of Mrs. Fields’ Christmas Sugar Cookies recipe.
Once again, this is not my own recipe since I’m nowhere near that skill level to make my own recipes. I got this recipe from the classic Mrs. Fields Cookie Book which you can purchase here and follow them on Instagram.
Get ready to get covered with flour and let’s get started!
Here’s what you’re going to need to make 3 dozen cookies:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ cups salted butter, softened
- ¾ cups white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Sprinkles, colored sugar, other decorations
D I R E C T I O N S:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour and salt with a wire whisk.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until well mixed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the flour mixture. Blend on low speed just until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX (I made that mistake this year and had to start over because it becomes crumbly and won’t stay together in a ball).
- Gather the dough into a ball and flatten into a disk to wrap in plastic wrap or a plastic bag. Put this in the refrigerator for 1 hour until firm.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to a ¼ in. thickness. With cookie cutters, cut dough and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Decorate.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, do not let it brown. Immediately transfer the cookies with a spatula to cool on a flat surface.
And that concludes the last baking post for the 12 Days of Christmas! Let me know if your family has any baking traditions for the holidays.
Only 2 more days until Christmas!