Tomorrow, September 30, is my 20th birthday. I’ve seen a lot of YouTube videos where people talk about what they learned in X amount of years, so I decided to do that myself and write out 20 lessons in 20 years that I learned. It was fun to reflect on what I learned so far and remind myself what really matters.
So, here’s to 20!
- Life isn’t that serious. Learn to laugh at yourself.
- You’re not too cool for anything. Embrace whatever your situation of the moment is. It’s more fun to have fun than pretending to be unamused.
- It’s important to do what you want in life, rather than what other people think/want you to do. They’re not you and they aren’t the ones living your life.
- Spend time with those you love, and don’t waste your energy on people you don’t.
- Have fresh flowers or a plant in your bedroom.
- “Life is tough, get a helmet” – Eric Matthews from Boy Meets World
- It’s better to get heartbroken than love half-hearted.
- Do not be ashamed of what makes you happy, as long as you aren’t hurting someone else. Go for it.
- Take pictures and surround yourself with them.
- Suppressing who you are will not bring you the right people you want in life; it’s better to just let go and be who you truly are.
- It’s best to be overprepared than underprepared.
- Fashion is fun, but make sure you develop your own style.
- Be interested in what little kids say to you even if you have to fake it. Their impressionable and what you say will impact them in some way.
- You find out who your real friends are when you’re struggling.
- No one is busy. You always choose one thing over another even if you feel like you have to pick one over another. It’s all about priorities.
- It might take a hell of a long time, but you’ll get over it/someone eventually. Just keep going.
- Life starts moving really fast when you’re older, so do that thing you’ve always wanted.
- Keep a journal/box of memories.
- Buy the shoes or whatever you really want.
- Everything will work out the way it’s supposed to in the end.
What’s something important you’ve learned so far in life?